STABLE BELT EVOLUTION IN THE ROYAL ARTILLERY
The Leather Lined Stable Belt.
The Royal Field Artillery Girdle (stable belt) was introduced in 1904 and originally came with a leather backing and metal two prong buckle on the inside, the brass olivettes and loops being on the outside. A year later a wide version of the girdle in red with a central blue stripe was introduced to be worn by the Royal Artillery Mounted Band, which was later authorised for the RA Band, Dover, Plymouth, Portsmouth and in 1920 Woolwich.
There also exits a similar style of belt for the ASC and Cavalry.
With thanks to Marc Sherriff